Yoeido Park

Yoeido Park
Beating the heat

Search This Blog

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Su Je Bi for the Soul

Yesterday I was in the mood for Su Je Bi and so I decided to try making it, on my own. I went to the Grand Mart food mart and picked up some flour for the dumpling skins and kelp, dried anchovies, green pepper and a few other things for the broth. I didn't have an actual recipe to use and I didn't want to look it up so I approximated ingredient amounts.


Dumpling skins:

1 cup flour
1/3 cup water
1 tsp grape seed oil (I didn't have any vegetable oil)
Salt
Broth:

6 dried anchovies (head and intestines removed)
1 palm sized piece of dried kelp
1 TBSP garlic
2 small Korean hot green peppers (not bell peppers)
2 stalks of green onion
Salt & pepper

A drizzle of sesame oil.
First I kneaded the dough for a few minutes and then set it in a plastic bag in the fridge while I made the broth.
I boiled the kelp and anchovies for about 20 minutes and then discarded them from the broth. I added the remaining ingredients and simmered them for another 20 minutes or so before hand tearing the dough into the broth. When the dumplings where cooked through I added a tiny bit of sesame oil to the soup and ate it all up.
The soup actually tasted really good but not exactly the way Su Je Bi should taste. I realized that it was missing a few key ingredients that would have made it much better. Potato and fish sauce would have deepened the broth and made it a bit more savory. I also should have let the dough rest a bit longer. It was a little thicker than I wanted it but still quite good. Even though it wasn't perfect I was still really pleased with my results. I love the taste of the broth and I especially love how easy and quick it is to make. I'm already thinking about Matzo Ball Su Je Bi for the holidays. I'm going to be the first Jewish mother to make Su Je Bi instead of chicken soup when my kids are sick.
Here are some pics of the ingredients and final product:





No comments:

Post a Comment