Yoeido Park

Yoeido Park
Beating the heat

Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Doing it right

I've been in Seoul for almost 3 weeks now and I continue to enjoy how well some things are done here.  Aside from the efficiency in beaurocratic things which I already mentioned on the blog, there are technological, architectural and even fashion-related marvels that make me smile.



First, we all know that the heat comes up through the floors in Korea, right? I knew it before I came but I didn't know that I'd love it so much or that it would be so practical. What's better than waking up and stepping out of bed to a warm floor? The beds are low to the ground here and so you're always warm when going to bed, and when one leaves their clothes on the floor (i'm not naming names) they are warm the next morning. I have 5 more months in Korea and I know I'm going to miss these warm, foot inviting floors.

Next is technology, which is not one of my strong areas so I'll keep it as basic as I understand it. Everything is at lightening speed here. If you want to pay by credit card the minute it's swiped you are asked for a signature. The whole city is wired with 3G or something stronger.

Cell phones have face-to-face video capability so that two people talking on their cell phones can see each other in real time on their screens. It's like cell phone skype. You can also watch real time television on your cell phone. The phones have little antennas that come out of nowhere and turn into small tvs. You can even use or cell phone for talking or watching tv on the subways because they are all 3g wired! (In NYC you would think that would translate into loud(er) train rides to work and loud(er) more obnoxiuos music or movies being played, etc. Nope, not here. More on my being civilized by Seoul later.)


Speaking of subways, the trains are fast, all stations have clear directions and stop notifications in three languages (Korean, English and Japanese) and both the stations and the trains are very clean.  All of the stations have several exits, sometimes as many as 14. There are little maps in the station that tell you which exit number would be the closest to your destination. That way you can walk underground in the station and smell the delicious and fresh smell of pancakaes being made. MMmm Mmmm.


Paying for the subway is probably one of the best parts of the whole system. Each ride is about 80 cents. Payment is mad by what's called T Money. You tap your credit card like T card at the entrance to the subway and it deducts 80 cents. You prepay your T Money and you can put as much as you want on it. Most taxis, phone booths, fast food places and some restuarants all accept T Money. So if you only left home with your T Money card you could take public transportation, a taxi, and have dinner.


Finally, I had to bring it back to fashion. I've noticed here that there is a dress code for a certain aged lady. I'd say that 99.9% of the women between the ages of 19 and 35 all wear very short skirts with thin black leggings and black high heeled shoes and black or dark colord tops. Very pretty, but very impractical considering the freezing weather and the cobblestone like streets. About two weeks ago on one of the coldest and windest days since we've been here all the young women were wearing the uniforms I described above and most of them without coats or with their coats undone. Not a hat, scarf, or gloves in site. I was wearing leggingngs under my jeans, 3 pairs of socks, winter boots, three shirts, a sweater and my staple puffy coat (no one over the age of 12 wears puffy coats in Seoul. No one but me.) I had my big furry hood up and my gloves on and I was still freezing. Women from Seoul are tough. Then I learned that their leggings were lined with fleece. Genius.
So I went to EMart - sort of like upscale Kmart or Target and bought a pair of fleece lined leggings. Okay so it didn't make up for a scarf, hat, gloves or a coat, but they did keep me alot warmer than I thought and they are oh so cute too.

3 comments:

  1. great post! regarding warmed floors, in 5 months it'll be SUMMER! i don't you'll miss it that much.

    when you get a chance, post your thoughts on the Kim Yun-na fever that has gripped Korea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay in 8 months I'll miss the heated floors.

    Unfortunately we don't have a TV, can't understand Korean and don't have many friends so we didn't even know there was any Kim Yun-na fever until you told us. We are hanging out with some new friends tomorrow night and I'll be sure to ask them there thoughts. We are working on the tp for you though. We'll do our best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. tonight is the long program. i'm betting at least 80% of south korea will be watching kim yun-ah go for the gold. lord help all of you if she falters. i suggest you go to a public place with a large screen tv and see it with a big crowd of people.

    ReplyDelete